Media Relations in a Rapidly Changing Media Landscape

Sabine Raabe
3 min readApr 21, 2023


In today’s fast-paced digital age, it’s easy to think that traditional forms of media relations are becoming outdated. However, media relations remains an essential aspect of public relations, and the rise of digital media has actually improved the ability to connect with journalists.

Media relations is the process of building and maintaining relationships with journalists, reporters, and other media professionals. It involves pitching stories, providing relevant information, and responding to media inquiries. The goal is to secure media coverage that helps to increase brand awareness and reputation. While digital media has certainly changed the media landscape, traditional forms of media relations are still critical for public relations professionals to master.

Traditional media outlets such as newspapers, magazines, and broadcast news still have a significant impact and reach in society. Most of these outlets have digital platforms to reach the 89% of adults who get their news from devices. This still leaves 11% who get their news from traditional media sources. Companies and organisations cannot ignore traditional media outlets if they want to reach a wide and diverse audience.

Journalists and reporters are trained professionals who can provide valuable insights and perspectives that can help to shape public opinion. They also have the ability to reach a broad audience and provide a level of credibility that is difficult to achieve through other communication channels. While social media has given everyone the ability to be a “citizen journalist,” professional journalists and reporters still provide a level of credibility and trust that is difficult to replicate. Building relationships with journalists can help organisations navigate the media landscape, identify key opportunities for media coverage, and ultimately get their message out to a larger audience.

Digital media has actually made it easier to connect with journalists. Social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn have made it easier for public relations professionals to identify and connect with journalists who cover their industry or area of interest. In fact, a survey conducted by Muck Rack found that 75% of journalists use Twitter to build their personal brand and share their work, making it an ideal platform for public relations professionals to connect with them. These platforms also provide an opportunity to engage with journalists and build relationships by commenting on their articles or sharing their content.

Another way that digital media has improved media relations is through the use of multimedia content. Journalists are always looking for visual content to accompany their stories, and digital media has made it easier to share multimedia content such as images, videos, and infographics. This can help brands stand out in a crowded media landscape and increase their chances of getting media coverage.

Traditional media outlets still have a significant impact and reach, journalists and reporters are still a vital part of the media landscape, and digital media has actually improved the ability to connect with journalists. Public relations professionals who master media relations will be better positioned to help their clients or organizations achieve their communication goals and reach a wider audience. Digital has also made it easier to distribute press releases and other media materials. Press release distribution services can reach thousands of media outlets around the world with just a few clicks. This level of distribution was not possible before digital communication channels.

According to a survey by Cision, 75% of journalists use social media to research stories, and 66% use it to find sources. The same survey found that 80% of journalists prefer to be contacted via email, which is another example of how digital has improved media relations.

Media relations is still an essential aspect of public relations because traditional media outlets remain a significant source of news and information for many people. Digital has improved the ability to connect with journalists and distribute media materials, making it easier to build and maintain relationships with the media. Organisations that understand the importance of media relations and embrace digital communication channels will be well-positioned to succeed in today’s rapidly changing media landscape.



Sabine Raabe

I help leaders craft their stories to #communicate and connect better. Think thought leadership, professional branding and reputation management.